Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Living with King Midas

Something I forgot to mention, King Midas is along for the ride with us this summer. Evan and I are what I call 'animal people'. This name calling might be deceiving so I will explain, it means Evan and I have love for animals so we share our home with several of them. When we had an apartment we had a turtle named Lee Lee, a banana king snake named B.B. King (Riley for short), Abbey our German Shepard/Chihauhau mix and King Midas our bearded dragon.

When we started planning for our summer on the road we needed to call on friends and family to help us take care of our animals. Abbey went to Indiana to be with Evan's parents, Lee Lee found a new home down the street and Riley is staying with our friends Merrilee and Dennis. 

Evan and I had discussed the possibility of putting Midas down before we left since he has a severely twisted spine. This makes him practically immobile. When it came down to packing day, we weren't strong enough to say goodbye to our friend King Midas. So we created a little tank for him in the car and we have been feeding him scraps of food from our roadside stops. He loves sitting on the dashboard to sun bath.

I captured this picture of him the other day, doesn't it look like he is smiling?

No comments:

Post a Comment