Sunday, November 13, 2011

Grass Hopper

If the excitement that comes with starting on a "plan" is the up, than the down is when you lose confidence and feel the desperation of needing a new plan. A week ago I decided that I wanted to move back to New York City and find a job working for a university or college. This would allow me to be a part of an establishment that values education while continuing my own education in a city filled with my friends.

That was my plan and I started to put it into motion by applying for jobs posted by Columbia University, New York University, State University of New York - Purchase College and I even extended my job search to Asheville University in North Carolina and Indiana University in Bloomington. In total I have applied for almost 20 jobs and the silence is deafening. I have not received so much of an email in return to my job enquiries.

The most frustrating part is that I have only applied for jobs that have a minimum requirement of a high school diploma or a Bachelor's degree and at least one years office experience. You would think my 5+ years working in offices including working at the College of Wooster would allot me at least an interview. So I have started the ball of doubt rolling and as it is picking up speed my anxiety has grown. To combat my fear of losing my plan I am updating my resume again and giving myself another 2 weeks before absolute desperation is allowed to settle in.

It's amazing that when you are employed you dream only of unemployment and then when you are jobless you feel the anxiety of needing to define yourself through a 40+ hr. a week responsibility. It is the best representation of "the grass is greener" that I have ever experienced. Too bad jumping back and forth between the two mounds of grass wasn't easier. How amazing would it be if you could be employed for one month and then free the next month with the security of knowing that you will be back at work the following month?

Well I will dream of becoming a grass hopper and finding that perfect six months a year career to keep me sane while in this lull. I give it until January before I start looking for a temporary job in the local area. I don't want to be a waitress or work in retail again but I do like having a little bit of money to go to the movies, maybe eat out at a nice restaurant or visit my friends in NYC.

Ugh, job hunting is a lot like the sport it refers to. Traveling out into the wilderness of the job market, looking for a big fat juicy paycheck that will ensure your survival. Armed with only a resume, I bet a shot gun would make finding a job easier!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Em, I'm not a qualified expert or anything but I've done a lot of job searching in the last year. I'd love to exchange resumes with you and give you some thoughts if you're up for it.

    ReplyDelete